Thursday, May 28, 2009


Day 5 Abilene, TX to Roswell, NM 314 Miles
Today I said goodbye to trees. From Abilene west there are no trees. They have these scrubby looking things scatter about the landscape, but no real trees like pines or oaks. You know, real trees.
What they do have are windmill farms. They are huge 3 bladed windmills that generate electricity and there are thousands of them. They line US84 from Roscoe to Post, which is where I got onto US380. Farming must be pretty good because not only are they harvesting electricity but they are also pumping Texas Tea (oil that is) out of the ground. Every where I looked those little rocking pumps where pumping cash out of the ground.

Activity thinned out as I headed west on US380. Please note when traveling this road don’t miss the gas station in Tatum, NM cause there aren’t no more till your in Roswell. Jim Wattam gave me a good tip about riding this part of the country, don’t past up a gas station cause you might not see another one till morning. With that in mind and the fact that big red is guzzling fuel, I stopped in the Brownfield Wal-Mart and bought a 1 gallon gas can, filled it up and packed itin the trunk. What I bought was peace of mind.!

The weather was beautiful. That translates to NO RAIN.

I got into Roswell early enough to stroll down main street and see the sights, including the world famous International UFO Museum & Research Center. I took a bunch of photos, visited the visitor center and meet a cute Zuni girl who told me all about Roswell.

Dinner was a pleasant surprise. An excellent Italian restaurant called Pasta CafĂ©. It’s first class in food and service. I highly recommend it. Check it out at http://www.pastacafeitalianbistro.com/ .
Take a look at the days photos, just click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dickpritchard/sets/72157618896076889/

No comments:

Post a Comment