Friday, May 29, 2009


Day 6 Roswell, NM to Santa Fe, NM 254 Miles
Today was all about what I started this trip for. I have often dreamed about wide open roads that you can see the horizon looking in either direction and not see another vehicle, let alone another human. There were times when I didn’t see another car for up to 30 minutes. I stop along the highway, turn of Big Red, sat down on the shoulder and listened. The only sound was the wind, as close to total silence as I have ever experienced. Oh, and I started to see trees! Juniper trees growing along the river are almost real trees. I must be adjusting to this magnificent country.

I changed my original plan for the day, which was to ride the Turquoise Trail. That would have been yet another 300 plus day. I opted for a shorted day and by pure luck rode a great Scenic Trail that took me through Lincoln County, Billy the Kid country, aliens yesterday and cowboys today. I stopped in the town of Lincoln and shot some pics. As an extra bonus I also saw Smokey the Bear standing at the road side. This is also Smokey country. The little guy was found here after a fire burned through the area. Speaking of wildlife, I saw wild turkeys, not the drinking kind, eagles and deer, no road kill.

Rolled into Santa Fe about 2 o’clock and checked into the Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza Hotel. The hotel was built on the site of the Ortiz Hacienda built 300 years ago. Some of the original adobe was used in the hotel construction. I wandered about a bite took a few photos, rested and had dinner at the hotel
Now it’s bed time.

To see todays photos click here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dickpritchard/sets/72157618985364638/

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dick It looks like your having a blast!!!!!! Enjoy your trip my frien. Will talk when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That post was from me dick I had to use my daughters email, as it eouldn'tr take mine for some reason. Stay dry and enjoy the ride my friend. Roger

    ReplyDelete