Monday, June 1, 2009


Day 9 Santa Fe, NM to Alamosa, CO.
It was great getting back on the road again. The route was simple; US285 North, the day was complex.

First the terrain, the ride north started in the red rock and scrub brush area that surrounds Santa Fe. Then the road started a gradual climb in elevation and more grass, jimsome and trees appeared. Still climbing, it flattened out on a plateau where cattle grazed and Elk crossing signs popped up at roadside. Climbing again I cross the Colorado State line and I got my first view of real mountains with snow on the peaks.

Second the weather, when I left Santa Fe it was 56 degrees with a brilliant clear blue sky. It didn’t get any warmer. As the elevation increased the clouds began to gather and the temperature began to drop. This process continued and two storms appeared on the horizon. As I got closer to the storm clouds, both in elevation and distance, I stopped and rain secured my gear and me. The storm on my left was scary, big and black with lightning and wind that pushed Big Red around. The one on my right was not as dark but I could see lots of rain pouring out of it, when the wind on the left let up the wind on the right pushed in the other direction. Magically the road seemed to go between the two storms.

I beat both storms into Antonito, CO and stopped for fuel and grub. Lunch was at the Windmill Restaurant where the cute, recently graduated from High School, waitress thought it was so cool that someone my age would be ridding a Harley around the country. A cup of coffee, a Coke and a very good Club Sandwich and I was fit to get back on the road. A light rain had started while I was eating. Exiting the Windmill it began to hail, very light but still hail. I rode out of the hail in short order, but the temperature was still dropping. As I came into Alamosa, CO it started to SNOW! Again very light but still snow. It was coming down in good form when I reached the Best Western, I was hoping to get a picture of Big Red with a covering of snow but it didn’t last. As I write this it’s 39 degrees outside, so I guess it’s warming up.


Take a look at todays photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment